Saturday, October 13, 2012

Adventures in road tripping

So Tasha and I leave at noon on Thursday for Prince George. The trip started awesome! Weather was awesome. We had stopped and picked up some sandwiches and coffee before we left town so we were happily munching away.

Melvin was along for the ride of course. At first he was behaving himself.

Then he got bored. And we know what he is like when he gets bored.

We had a pit stop at the falls . Which was good because I really needed to get out and stretch. Melvin also needed out of the car. He does not do well being confined to a vehicle for any length of time.

Of course, once he was out of the car, he was getting in trouble.

He is such a cheeky monkey. Check out his facebook page for more pictures and antics. Just look for  Melvin Sock Carnell.

Anyway, we did what we had to do in Prince George. Which included a lot of shopping. I picked up a couple of things I can use in my debut drag king show on Oct 27th.

Yes. I said the 27th. Which means it is creeping up on me. I am practicing. I think my act is going OK. I am not expecting a super fantastic performance. It will be my first and I am sure I will be super super nervous. But knowing I have people in the audience who are supporting me will help. Well, that and a couple of drinks before I go on stage. :)

For me, the performance is more about pushing myself beyond my comfort level. To do something even a year ago, I wouldn't have done. A way of taking my anxiety and kicking it in the ass.

I was also able to see and have dinner with my friend J who is also a drag king. She gave me some awesome advice on performing. She is my mentor in a lot of things. Whether she knows it or not. I feel she is someone I can turn to for words of advice in all things butch. Thank you my friend.

Back to the trip. So after we finished dinner, Tasha and I hit the highway for the long drive home. It was starting to get dark and it was raining a little bit. I wasn't too worried. I had some concerns about snow in the pass but felt confident we could handle anything that was thrown our way.

Turns out I was right. We were only about a half hour out of the city when it started to rain a bit harder. So I turned on the wipers. And promptly watched the one on the passenger side go flying off the car.

I am serious.

Never had I see that before. Whoosh! Gone! I can only hope it didn't hit the guy behind me. We pulled over as soon as we could and tried to figure out what to do. Then it dawned on me.

I grabbed my dirty sock for the day before, balled it up and used one of Tasha's hair ties to attach it to the wiper arm. I did take a picture but managed to lose it somehow. It worked surprisingly well. Stayed on the entire way home. Needless to say, I am quite proud of myself for such an ingenious idea.

We happily started on our way home again, laughing at the sock, waving at the end of the wiper arm. When all of a sudden, I see two moose on the side of the highway. A mama and a baby. Mama was taking a step onto the highway. I slammed on the brakes and managed to stop in time. Mama and baby decided to go back into the bush.

I think I sharted myself a little bit. I know I was shaking quite a bit.

Thank the angels the rest of the trip was uneventful. I don't think I could have taken much more.  We pulled into my place at about midnight. I was happy to be home to say the least.

The best part, we get to do it again at the end of November!

Rest assured, I will be checking Tasha's car from one end to the other to make sure everything is in working order.

And now, a little piece of advice from the Bro Code......

A Bro is always entitled to do something stupid, as long as the rest of his Bros are doing it as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment